Friday, July 16, 2021

Custom Song: Farm Alarm

Creating "Farm Alarm" for Groundswell NZ's "Howl of a Protest"

A wee farm doggie started this song project. I saw her standing on the wheel of a tractor, snowy mountains in the background, howling at one end of her and wagging at the other. Her master had encouraged her to practice in preparation for a special town visit to protest unworkable legislation pressed upon farmers, growers, and trades service providers.

I thought, "I could do that. With a little coaching from her, I reckon I could howl like that."

I had less than three days before the event. I decided to test my system and see if I could write a song and upload a video of it within that short time.

I can't say I'll willingly put that kind of pressure on myself again, but my system handled it, I did what I set out to do, I had a lot of fun doing it, and it's been a great confidence booster.

As always, the costuming aspect was great fun. The Kiwi Stockman oilskin coat with comfortable brushed cotton lining is a treasure from my youth, the first expensive clothing item I bought for myself, age 16. On wet days, winter and summer, it kept my upper half dry on my paper delivery route. I recall the only alternative at that time was the thick and prickly Swanddri pullover wool bushshirt.

A few years later, my globetrotting sister brought the Australian Akubra hat home across the Tasman Sea for me. In those days before the internet, I would see Kiwis wearing this type of hat but didn't know where they bought them. Having a personal shopper offer to stuff her suitcase for me was a fabulous opportunity. 

Thus kitted out in my retro outdoor gear, with many happy memories of living on these beautiful islands, I sung my song for everyone who needs the land in order to survive and flourish. Which is everyone, right?

I hope you enjoy my little howler.

Fiat lux.

Narelle

https://youtu.be/9avDmigmYD4

"FARM ALARM"©
Lyrics by Narelle Worboys [Tune of Baa Baa Black Sheep]

[Howl]

Old MacDonald had a farm,
But it's been stolen. We're alarmed.
Thieves are locking up our land.
Regulations out of hand.
Growing food is being banned.
Howl a protest -- save our land.

[Howl]

Young MacDonald grew some fruit,
But pickers cannot pick the loot.
Ma MacDonald cannot shoot
Pigs and rabbits not so cute.
Rules of reason have been canned.
Howl a protest -- save our land.

[Howl]

Baa baa black sheep can't have wool
'Cause farming isn't workable.
Tradies cannot drive a ute --
Charge disaster down that route.
For our country we all stand.
Howl a protest -- save our land.

[Howl]


#NarelleCustomSongs 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...